Thursday, May 5, 2011

TED Talk 8: Is this really a necessary topic?

                Benjamin Wallace’s TED Talk wasn’t that impressive to me in terms of content. He didn’t really tie any of his findings together and make a philosophical statement. He talked about trying expensive things, what he liked, what he didn’t like, and then it ended. I was just left questioning the importance of this talk. I also think a lot of the content he presented is just his opinion, especially with the food products. Just because he didn’t like truffles doesn’t really mean much. I’ve had truffle oil (I know it’s not the same thing) but it has a long lasting smell and a distinctive flavor. I just didn’t like that much of what he said was personal opinion, and he didn’t openly say this. I honestly felt like what he presented was a consumer report rating the products. I think the idea that we tend to be happy when we buy expensive things is a good finding, but he never really openly states this. He also didn’t explain some of the products. I had no idea why the bed was so special. He just didn’t explain that. He also didn’t really explain the Kobe beef. People’s happiness is a personal thing. If high priced objects make people happy, then that’s okay (for this Talk, I suggest you go to the location of the actual video, and read some of the comments, they're pretty interesting).

                I want to say that his Talk relates to me, I want to say it relates to the world, but I can’t. People’s happiness is part of who they are. Cooking makes me happy, but that doesn’t mean it makes everyone happy. Just because some people would pay money for happiness doesn’t mean everyone would. Happiness is completely personal, and I think when you start questioning what makes people happy, it’s hard to find out. I would say a small percent of people in this world would pay money for all the fancy things he displayed. I don’t know, his talk just wasn’t inspiring or insightful, it is un relatable for me and I honestly don’t think it relates to the world.
                On the contrary, he did have some good techniques. I enjoyed how he had videos in his TED Talk, as that provided a different element than just showing pictures. He also used humor, but a different kind of humor. People laughed at the products he was displaying, not what he was actually saying. It sort of shows how outrageous these products are, and even more so how funny it is that people actually buy them.
                This is all I have for this TED Talk. I wanted to end on an excellent Talk, but instead I ended on the worst one I’ve seen. After watching these Talks, I think the best one was a tie between Marcel Dicke’s and Jennifer Lee. Dicke’s was just so interesting and so out of the box then any of the other’s, and Lee’s just contained fun food information that I love to hear about. So, I would say these blogs were fun, and I learned a lot from these Talks. Goodbye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment